Monday, October 11, 2010

Reflection #4: Technology ... in the middle of Africa

I went to Africa in the summer of 2009. I went expecting a lack of things familiar--yet, I was completely shocked when I saw a plethora of cell phones. I saw a man on the back of a camel in his turban and white, gauzy, light, made-for-hot-sticky-African weather clothing texting on his cell. I saw children in torn clothing with dirt on every inch of visible skin using phones (as in the picture). I left with the phone numbers of friends in AFRICA!

I was in the-middle-of-nowhere-Africa and they had access to the technology of cell phones. (It actually does make sense--it's a lot cheaper to pay for cell towers here and there and get cell phones than say land lines. And it's a much faster mode of communication--and easier--than pen, pencil, and/or envelopes, let alone stamps, and transportation of said letter.)

Looking back over my photos of the trip, I've been thinking a lot about how technology impacts us, globally. We can reach almost anyone, any time, anywhere. It's amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Read the book, The World is Flat, by Thomas Freidman to learn more about the globalization that affects our world. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete